In order to visit Stonehenge, one really must have a healthy sense of humor. Yes, on the one hand, it is really really cool. It is so old, architecturally almost impossible and clearly of some kind of import to an earlier peoples . . . however, it did feel a bit like the Mona Lisa or Angkor Wat when seeing it in real life. I highly recommend a visit and the pictures really say it all.
After Stonehenge, we headed to Bath, the home of Jane Austen. We were meeting up with our former London hosts, Elaine and Tyler, but i jetted off rather quickly to get to the Jane Austen Centre. It was great. It chronicled her time in Bath and I really learned a lot about her, the influences on her writing and about the city itself. It was funny though because a lot of couples came into the museum and the men all parted from the women in the gift shop where the women bought tickets to go inside and the men slunk away back into the city. The gift shop was neat too because it sold rare copies of Austen's books . . . including one called "The Watsons", which has one of my new favorite quotes. Thanks to Will, I have all new copies of my favorite Austen novels so I am excited to read them when I get home.
When we got back to London, we headed out to a local pub and watched the end of the Arsenal game and chatted with Morgan and Chris (our new hosts). Then we went to bed.
Today, we were supposed to go to Cardiff. This didn't happen. I got up, got out of bed, went to go shower and I blew a circuit in the shower after shampooing meaning I got no more water so I had to complete my shower under the bath faucet. Oh yes, you read correctly, I blew the shower circuit. WTF!!!! This is a civilized country! Why, how is a circuit in any way shape or form related to the shower!!! In any case, we got a late start to Ariel's (friend from BC) where Sean made delicious pancakes and we quatsched for 2.5 hours. Then we were still going to try to make it to Cardiff, but ended up stuck in the Victoria Tube Station for almost 1 hour because the cut off connections on the Circle and District lines from there to Paddington because of a Signal Fire that had happened hours ago . . . even later in the day the service was disrupted. It is unbelievable. This would never happen in NYC. So instead, we prepared for Ireland, got some fish and chips and went on the Eye at dusk, which was great. Then we went in search of Cadbury Cream McFlurrys, failed, and went down to Wimbledon to hang out with Philip Altong (former German study-abroader at BC who was in my HR Management class but whom I never knew -- think Basti) and had a great time. We had to leave early because of the Tube and because we are leaving in 4 hours for Ireland. Woohoo!! bis dann
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
I blew a circuit breaker in the shower . . . !!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment