Göttingen is amazing. It is perhaps the most perfect city to which I have ever been . . . if you know how that French village looks at the beginning of Beauty and the Beast when Belle is waltzing around reading and buying bread -- that is Göttingen. Absolutely picturesque and the people are so nice and everyone wants to meet me and talk to me, because I am American. Which apparently the know because I wear flip-flops ... that is what they tell me anyways. I have been speaking German almost constantly and found that, despite not speaking any for a year and 3 months, I am really not that bad! I have held whole conversations and done important things like buy train tickets and order a BahnCard 50 with someone who spoke no english! Basti and I texted and he is very happy that I am here . . . toll!
This morning, Sheila took me on a driving tour of Göttingen and then to see the Geschwister Scholl Gesamtschule (GSG) where I will be working. I met many of the teachers and everyone is so nice and excited that I am there, so that is fantastic. I will meet with Astrid (Fremdsprachendirektorin) next Friday after orientation. Afterwards, I met Sean (Brennan BC 08) at the train station today, and he, a teacher from his school (Otto Hahn Gymnasium) and I went out to lunch together. It was great! He and I are plotting American dinner nights and English Conversation clubs to hold with a mix of our students at various kneipe. I think we will have a lot of fun together, and we are both very enthusiastic. I also got a tour of his Gymnasium and got to meet many of the teachers there, so it is nice to sort of have two places where I am welcome. Tonight I move into a new apartment! It is nice, but with no internet somewhat nicht praktisch for the longterm, so I hope to be out by October.
Highlights from flight over: 1) spilling red sauce on my new Product (red) shirt bringing new meaning to the brand 2) attempting to eat the unidentifiable meat that United Airlines called beef, but in fact was beef in name only 3) UA losing one of my suitcases, an unexpected blessing as I then did not have to carry it and it will now be hand delivered to my apartment for free.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Midnight train going anywhere . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment