I wish I could describe to you what it is like to be me in this moment. I sit in a train rushing past the rural German countryside as little villages and towns come quickly in and out of view. The rolling hills still green in Southern Germany's mild winter are dotted with castles, steeples and half timbered houses . . . visual remnants of a cultural past. Curled up in my seat with "Home" open on my lap I can hear the usual German chatter filter through "Love Song" playing on my Ipod. The intonations, although as usual not the words, are familiar. For once, as I prepare to leave Germany for my first "visit" to the US, the sun escapes the clouds and illuminates the landscape of my other world . . .
Okay so I was in a romantic mood. That was on the train from Goettingen to Aachen, a 7 hour trip, I might add. My fault entirely as I wanted to take the 22 euro train. Although, for 45 euros I would have only saved 2 hours. Once I got there, I accidently went past the Eilendorf station where I was supposed to get off, and got off in Rothe Erde . . . where it turned out there was a disruption in service and no more trains were running back to Eilendorf (or anywhere) so DB paid for me to take a taxi to Eilendorf. There I met Mathias (German TA at BC last year) and Nate for the weekend. It was amazing! Mathias and his family were incredible hosts, we had such a good time. Mathias took us on a tour of Aachen and showed us everything, including the world famous Weihnachtsmarkt. We got to hang out in some of his favorite places from growing up and meet a lot of his friends from growing up, try traditional Aachener Cherry Rice Pudding cake at Van den Daele, bought Printen and tried the famous health water. He taught us two fabulous German games: Kuhhandel and Rummikub. Sunday night we went to a Christmas Party where we traded crappy gifts (I gave a stuffed lobster of Mathias's and got a rose candle holder) and spoke with Mathias's friends . . . it was so much fun! Anyways, it was a great weekend.
The night took a turn for the worse when it was 2:30am and I realized I needed to be on a train in 2.5 hours. So we went to bed quickly, got up and Mathias walked me to the train station where I started my nearly 24 hours of travel. 1 hour train to Koeln, 20 minute layover 1 hour train to Frankfurt, 2.5 hour wait for plane, 8.75 hour flight to Toronto, 3.5 hour layover, 1.5 hour flight, 1 hour wait for suitcase that never came, 3 hour drive home. Not a fun day. So now I'm home, and have no clothes or christmas presents because they are in some Air Canada baggage claim center being mailed to me tomorrow. But home is nice and I'm glad I came. :-)
Here are some pics: Goettingen at Christmas and Aachen
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
You PMS like a B****, I would know
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment