I know, a cliche . . . but so true. My visit home has been amazing, though sadly and quickly drawing to a close. Despite the issue of 5 days without luggage and Christmas presents, this was such a great trip for me. Christmas with my family was perfect and full of our traditions . . . plus Santa was good to me, so I'm happy. I got to hang out with all of my friends from High School for a long time, and we really had a blast. I didn't realize how long it had been since we had caught up, but with all of us (except Sherry, sadly) there it was so nice to chat and see where all of us are now and are headed shortly. Saturday we had German breakfast, dinner, dessert and Christmas presents in my house . . . which was fun to share some culture even if it was only halfly tasty. Sunday, I went with mom and Katie to see the Rockettes in NYC and just hang out in the city. The show was fantastic and having dinner afterwards at Da Rosina was delicious. I didn't really realize how much it wasn't Christmas until I saw the tree at Rockefeller Center, felt the hustle and bustle of the city and saw the lights. It really made me realize that as much as German traditions are romantic and the basis for our own . . . they aren't mine, and I like mine just as much, if not better. The second part of my trip to the city was my visit with Scott, which was the most perfect evening I have spent in a long time. Although my poor feet did not agree with me on the train ride home.
3 heat packs and 8 hours later, I spent the next three days visiting with my friends from home (Sherry, Meghan, Lauren in spirit, Will M and Will K) and spending quality family time. New Years Eve was mass and more tradition, with the Langrocks and Maurers over at my house for our 'party'. I am very glad to be in 2009 . . . and I hope it carries with it the blessings of 2008 but with happier circumstances. Thursday we left early for my Grammy's house in PA and since then I've been spending time with her, my Aunt/Uncle and 4-year old cousin Jordan. It is fun to help her read and teach her to bowl on the Wii . . . which she now does ending her throw in a beautiful ballet pose just like me. I saw Grammy's pictures of Ireland, which is making me very excited for the theoretical spring trip to England/Scotland/Ireland. Plus, I got to catch up with Katie G., Julie, Gabby and Elizabeth . . . amazing. So I'm back off to the D-land in the evening, which I'm not particularly excited about, but will definitely return with renewed vigor to make it through the bottom 2/3rds.
Differences in the US from Europe:
-grocery bags / baggers
-shopping carts without a deposit
-economy sized goods
-tax not being included in the prices
-really really high food prices
-the size of dollar bills
-words being bleeped out on the radio ("girls come easy and the *bleep* come cheap")
-real cities!
-minimalistic regional trains
-a consumer economy for something besides food
-house / I love Lucy marathons
-dryers
-electric stoves
-girls wearing high heels
Only 7 months to go . . .
Saturday, January 3, 2009
Who says you can't go home?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment