Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ich hab ne Zwiebel auf dem Kopf, ich bin ein Döner

WELL. Was fuer ein tolles Wochenende! I went to Koeln for Karneval this weekend along with Sean – there we met up with Mathias, Eileen and eventually Paul and Nate. After the 5.5 hour ride on the slow trains, we got to Mathias in Aachen and had some nice cake and donuts while we got caught up. Then we headed over to Koeln, where Sean and I dropped our stuff off at the hotel and put on our Dirndl and Lederhosen and, in Eileen’s case, toucan mask. After walking forever, we finally found Mathias again and his two friends from Koeln. We thought we’d go out on the famous bar street Zuelpicher Str., but it was too full so we went to Cubana in Barbarossa Platz instead. It was awesome. Really really warm, but so much fun! We danced the whole night to traditional Karneval songs, which I will post when I find them all. I guess they aren’t so funny if you don’t know the words. But in German they are hysterical. I was very much loved by the Germans and the bar tenders all wanted to dance with me . . . got free drinks from a Sailor . . . it was great. We got home at around 5:30am I think, happily exhausted.

We slept until only 10am because I insisted that we eat the free hotel breakfast. Everyone was a little grumpy at first, but they all thanked me later when they ate the delicious American bacon or granola. Yum! We spent the whole day in the Sauna and pool . . . experienced European Sauna-nakedness, much to my dismay, and then got ready to go out again. Around 5pm, we met Mathias in Koeln for coffee and cake, which was delicious. Then we walked around the river district a bit before picking a traditional Koelner restaurant for dinner. Eileen and I had Himmel und Aed for dinner à blood sausage and mashed potatoes with apples. It tasted delicious, but about an hour after dinner Eileen and I were both sort of grossed out. Over dinner, we had a really nice conversation that went from faith – sustainable energy – economy . . . and it was really fun.

We went out afterwards in the river district and eventually met up with Nate and Paul, went barhopping and dancing. It was really fun, but not quite as fun as the first night. Sunday, we got up for breakfast, Sean ran to his train, Eileen and I went to mass in the Koeln Dom . . . it was a slow day. Then I headed to Duesseldorf to see it for the first time, and it was really beautiful but also crazy with Karneval stuff. Duesseldorf and Koeln are huge rivals and are the two main places for Karneval celebrations. So it was interesting to say Koelle Alaaf in the morning and then Duesseldorf Helau in the afternoon. Exhausted I boarded the train for the 4.5 hour trip home at around 4:30pm.

Other highlights included Tuesdays going out to Thanners and then Barracuda. For the first time I hung out with the guys without Sean because he had to leave to take care of his friends Charlotte and Michael from Stuttgart. What happened? I ended up in Julian's jacket with the hood pulled tight being led out of Barracuda. Last time I try to be funny. Also had Rac or Julian tell me it's sexy to have a little fat, after poking my abs . . . Philipp told me that whomever had said it, said it "weird" and that they meant "nobody wants a girl who is just skin & bones". I remain skeptical. Tried to run 6 miles today -- did not go well beause of knee pain. Uhoh! I've been icing them. One of the 10th graders blew me a kiss today, I'm pretty sure that is out of bounds. We're going out to Martin's today, should be fun.

No comments: