Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pelvic Exercise

Yay! So we arrived in Edinburgh, Scotland today. This required us waking up at 4:25am, finishing packing, catching a 5:02am train to Hannover where we sat for 1 hour and had coffee etc., then taking a second train to Bremen, where we arrived 30 minutes prior to the check-in closing. Bremen, however, is still not Bremen Flughafen (literally: flight harbor) . . . so we decided to hop a Taxi instead of risking missing check-in by taking the tram. The airport was probably the sketchiest operation I’ve ever encountered, but we got checked in (my bag was only 10kg . . . 3kg lighter than Sean’s and 5kg under the limit!! Woohoo!) and our flight took off only 10 minutes late.Edinburgh is probably the windiest place I have ever encountered. Just stepping of the plane we encountered gusts of wind unlike anything. At around 1pm, we checked in to our hostel (Caledonian Hostel), which is this really cool wanna-be-new-age-hippie place and got freshened up. We headed over to a pub recommended by Arne and the hostel lady called “Standing Order” . . . I had Buffalo wings and Sean had a burger. It was really good and super cheap.
Then we decided to climb Arthur’s Seat, which is the biggest hill in Edinburgh (around 250km). It was absolutely gorgeous and everything I expected Scotland to be. Windy, green, patchy grass, little dirt and rock paths winding through the hills, cliffs . . . there are so many incredible and beautiful pictures. The top of the hill provided absolutely incredible views of Edinburgh, the ocean and the surrounding environs. We also discovered ruins of an old St. Anthony’s Chapel form the 15th century. So so cool. All in all, it was around 4 miles of hiking and pretty steep climb – so I consider it my pelvic exercise because it was painful.
Afterwards, we walked back through Edinburgh – a town that appears (in many ways) to be frozen in the 16th century. It is all stone, khaki-colored and very low to the ground. We walked through the Prince’s Gardens, which were beautiful and already in full bloom. Finally, we arrived back at our hostel. We hung out in our 40+ bed dorm with some Irish guys who are absolutely crazy and then went with them to the hostel bar’s “happy hour”. I was already exhausted by this point so I didn’t engage in any “fun” activities besides hanging out. At around 8:30pm Sean and I went for our first real fish & chips, which were delicious but super greasy and I ended up accidently eating a piece of my fork.
I feel like that should end the entry. I ate a plastic fork.

No comments: