Bonn + some Goettingen
Oslo
Copenhagen
Stockholm
So what you may or may not have known was that while I wrote my last post, I was super upset. I had just gotten an email from the girl whose room I am currently living in (supposed to be working abroad in Shanghai for the year) saying that her job had been terminated and that she was returning to Germany ASAP. This, she said, meant that, despite the fact that I have a year lease for this room, I had to vacate as soon as I found something new. This is still the case, unfortunately, though after speaking with her boyfriend (my other roomie) I have as much time as I need to find something acceptable. So why I can't just have until next july, I don't know. In any case, I'm pretty angry. Basti, parents and friends helped me get less upset but it's a pretty terrible place to be.
Last Friday I flew to Stockholm for the weekend. I loved it there! It was so beautiful and so cool that it is a city made up of little islands. I walked all around the old city (Gamla Stan) took a tour of city hall where they hold the Nobel Prize reception, went to the National Museum -- an art gallery -- because they said they had a Degas called "Two Dancers" that I wanted to see, but after paying 8$ to get in, it turned out it was not on display at the time, then I went to the VASA museum. This museum displays the ship Vasa, which sunk in the 1600s shortly after leaving port because the King of Sweden comissioned it to be built in too short a period of time and wanted the biggest ship in Europe leaving builders to put too many cannons on too small a hull. It was neat and everything was really well preserved. After the museum I walked around a bit more.
Finally, I met up with Fredrik who is a friend of my Uncle's and went back to his house. There I met his wife Camilla and his five month old baby girl, Elvira. We had a lovely dinner and a great conversation that lasted for hours about everything. The next day, I went with them to their summer house on the Archipelago. It was really rustic (as in, I actually had to pee in a pot) and Fredrik's grandfather built it himself! It was beautiful. Camilla and I watched Elvira and walked around the island most of the afternoon and I got to wear this traditional swedish hat that Fredrik's grandmother had made. Then we had a traditional swedish lunch, Kalops, which turned out to be very close to my favorite dinner: beef stew! Only it didn't have celery and was made with an anchovie sauce. Later we went back to Fredrik's house, had dinner and watched There Will Be Blood (stupid movie) and I got to eat real swedish fish!! so cool.
Anyways, now I'm back in Goettingen trying to sort out my life. I got my visa, will enroll at the university tomorrow and probably start looking for apts this weekend. I got into a bike accident today, someone was riding on the wrong side of the path and when I swerved to get out of the way, he swerved too, our bikes locked and we fell into the road. A woman stopped to help me because the guy was being an ass and she yelled at the guy for me. Now my bike is making funny noises but Sean says he'll help me make sure it is okay. My knees are scraped up but otherwise i'm fine. Looking into getting a new cell phone plan. Have to call Katy Garner at LEK this week to discuss my revised offer . . . hopefully the salary at least stayed the same :-/ but at the very least I still have a job, which is good! I think i'm getting fat but i now have almost nothing left to snack on but fruit, soy milk and salami (:-D) sooo hopefully I'll start getting skinnier again.
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Capsized
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment