Monday, October 13, 2008

Hard Day's Night

Sorry it's been so long . . . here's a quick update on my life! Right now it is Fall break in Niedersachsen (for 2 weeks . . .) so I have nothing to do but travel and sleep. Originally, I was going to go to Scandinavia for a week, Duesseldorf, Aachen for the weekend and then to Ireland for a week. Butttt we didn't get paid soon enough for me to go with Sean, so I switched everything up. So for the first week i am being sportlich in Germany, will go to Duesseldorf/Aachen/Heidelberg for the weekend and then end up in Oslo/Kopenhagen/Stockholm for the second week.
Friday I went for this amazing hike up the Brocken (highest mountain in the Harz Mtn range, eastern germany) that followed the Goethe Weg. Apparently, part of Goethe's Faust was based on this path. It was beautiful, green and eery . . . and a lot of exercise! The hike I think was 14 or 16 kilometers round trip so that was great.
Saturday I went for a 35k bike ride to some neighboring towns. In Germany they have these things called Fernradweg, which are basically highways for bikes that are (in general) clearly labeled and (in general) paved. They go all throughout Germany meaning you can get pretty much anywhere on a bike if you are willing to sweat it out. Saturday (too) Andrea (friend from Hannover) arrived to spend the next week traveling with me.
This whole week we are doing the German Maerchen Str. or Fairy Tale Road together. The "road" spans from Hannover to Hanau throughout dozens of small towns that have to do with the Grimm Brother's fairy tales. So yesterday (Sunday) we biked from Goettingen through Hannoversch Muenden to Kassel, this was a total of 60k through mountains and was so painful and hard. It took us around 6 hours if you include the getting lost and stopping for Kaffee und Kueche in Hann. Muenden. The towns were places where the Grimm brothers lived or based fairy tales on. It was a great day and really fun to ride.
Today (Monday) we took a train/bus to Sababurg where the Doernroschenschloss (Sleeping Beauty Castle) is. It is just ruins, but it was really neat to see. There were also a lot of fun statues to different fairy tales. Then we walked 16k back to Hofgeismar where we got a bus to Bad Karlshafen. I honestly have no idea how this is related to the Grimm Brothers, but it was a cute little town on the Weser River and we had delicious ice cream plates. Then we took a train back to Goettingen.
That's my life in short! I'm so tired already I almost need a vacation from vacation. Pics to come

No comments: