Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I must have done something right . . .

Pics at the bottom if you don't want to read . . .
Before I start: I have become a lover of Soy Milk. I never thought this would happen, but it is delicious. I think from now on, I will drink Soy Milk exclusively.
Yay! This whole Fairy Tale Road trip was such a good idea. Definitely the kind of thing you could/should only do on a trip to Germany if you have a lot of time or have been here and seen the bigger sites many times before, so it is really neat to see these little towns. Tuesday we went to Marburg, which is a university town much like Goettingen. It is famous for having hosted the Grimm brothers as students, among other things Im sure. There we saw the St. Elisabethkirche, under which my confirmation saint (Elizabeth of Hungary/Thuringia) is buried. That was really very cool. Then we hiked up the "hill" (read: steep mountain if it were just bigger), which reminded me a lot of San Francisco, only with German exteriors. Along the way were lots of shops and amazing old buildings, and the top had a great castle that we visited and ate lunch at. In the afternoon, we went to Alsfeld, which is very out of the way, but has a really cool Rathaus and is apparently the setting for Rotkappchen or Red Riding Hood.
Today (Wednesday) we went to four towns. First, Steinau an der Strasse, which has a great Schloss and a House where the Brother's Grimm lived. Then we went to Gelnhausen, which has the remains of a Castle where Barbarossa (Frederik I ?) used to live. Also, it has a Witch tower where they used to burn witches and a really cute downtown area. Next was Hanau, which has the National Memorial for the Brother's Grimm and a Rathaus, the bells of which play Paul Hindemith canons 3 times a day because he was from there. Finally, we had 20 minutes to see Fulda -- not on the Fairy Tale Road, but has a neat castle and pretty FussgangerZone. Unfortunately, it was night time and my camera deleted one of the three pictures I was able to take.
Our plans changed a little bit and tomorrow we will be spending the day hanging out in Goettingen. We'll go to the wochenmarkt, shop, eat cake from the famous Konditorei here and then pack. Friday, instead of Heidelberg, I will go right to Bonn where I will get to hang out with Mathias (German TA at BC last year, really great) Well, that will be Cologne and Aachen, but close enough. Sooooo that's about it. Check out the pics, in ( ) are the number of pics in the album! They really are amazing:
Hiking the Brocken (18)
Bike ride towards Northeim (4)
Hannoversch Muenden and Kassel (12)
Sababurg and Bad Karlshafen (20)
Marburg and Alsfeld (35)
Steinau (Strasse), Gelnhausen, Hanau and Fulda (43)

No comments: